Sunday, January 8, 2012

Saying Farewell

Delicious Readers, it's time for me to say good-bye. It may not be forever, but for the foreseeable future, I won't be posting on Delicious as Pie.

The reasons are many, but the biggest reasons? I'm not seeing any return on investment, per se. I haven't gotten any new followers in months and reader comments are virtually non-existent. I average 20 readers a day, but after three years, I'd hoped for more.

Delicious as Pie started out as a fun way to build a "platform". A "platform" is the current buzzword in the writing community that means you have a following. You can be famous. An world-renowned expert. Or a blogger with thousands of followers that will buy your book. Agents/editors can't afford to take a chance on a nobody; they want proof that your book will sell many, many copies.

In the beginning, I dreamed that Delicious as Pie would take off and spread its wings across the world. Even through weeks and weeks of feeling like no one was reading, I kept typing away, hoping and praying that somehow my baby blog would be recognized. Then, when I finally finished my first novel, I could tell the book-buying powers-that-be that yes, my book would sell because I have 10,000 followers waiting with baited breath to buy multiple copies.

That dream has dissipated with this morning's fog.

I understand that my humor is a little wonky and that few (if any) of my posts are typo-free. Maybe these are off-putting to readers. Or maybe people just aren't interested in me and my writing. People are busy and my blog doesn't make the cut into their daily lives. And while I can't say the disappointment doesn't sting a little, it's okay. 

Honestly, the entire endeavor has become a chore, another thing on my to-do list to avoid. I find myself wondering why I should bother when my end goal never gets any closer. So it's time for a sabbatical.

Thanks for sticking with me, Delicious Readers. I have truly appreciated each and every time you've visited.

Love,
Photobucket

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess I am more shallow... I never thought my blog would be worth anything and it isn't! lol! I have enjoyed reading your tales... Good luck in your new adventure!

Kendra said...

I'm sorry to see you "go", although I completely understand. My thoughts have been similar lately. I decided I'd keep my blog for the main reason that I enjoy writing, whether anyone reads or not! :) I hope you'll keep us updated on any developments with your novel, however!

Kidsncats said...

:( I have enjoyed reading....

Love u....

Kate said...

I'm so sad to say farewell, I have enjoyed your writings don't want you to abandon what you have done.
Love, Emma

Denise Z. said...

Good luck Kate with your furture adventures. Hugs to the girls and, as always, wishing you much joy in whatever you choose to do!

Kate said...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love, Emma (again)