Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Thursday in San Diego

Suffice it to say that it was one of the most stressful days I've had in several years. 

I'm an easy-going person. Flexible, go with the flow, don't worry. My closest friends can repeat my mantra in their sleep: "It's all good!"

So when I say my six hours in San Diego was stressful, I really mean that it was ulcer-inducing, swear word-producing and grey hair-breeding.

Up at 4am, I had almost no sleep at all. But I was excited, so all was good. I had a game plan, with addresses and phone numbers and an order in which to see several houses. We all know what happens to best-laid plans. Mine flew away on the perfect San Diego breeze.

I hadn't planned on spending 35 minutes in line at the rental car place when I'd already made a reservation. Nor getting a car with no gas. Nor having to wait for someone to fill it up with gas.

An hour later, I was on my way to my third appoint, not my first. I canceled the first completely after I realized it backed up to a very busy street. And I called the second to reschedule for later in the day.

That first house? Tiny and right next to a busy street. The second house? Ew. It would be preferable to being homeless, but that's about it.

I peeked in the windows of another house and called to have the owner come meet me after my 2pm appointment.  It looked promising if the carpets were cleaned and the kitchen cabinets refinished. 

Now all this time I was on the phone with Scott every few minutes. Back home, he was scouring the web for newly posted rentals. And working. And trying to coordinate the kids. 

His stress added to my stress level tremendously. I needed his help, though. I couldn't make his day easier by handling this trip all on my own.

So at 2pm, I finally made it to the house which should have been second on the schedule. I knew instantly that it was The House.

You'd think much of my stress would have dissipated, right? Wrong-O.

I read and signed the contract, then had to run to the bank to get a cashier's check for first month's rent and the deposit. We're talking San Diego here. Not rural Kansas. Thus, the check had to be exceedingly large.

Of course, it was the day before payday. And while I had most of the money needed in the bank, I didn't have all of it.

I called Scott. Can you deposit your paycheck early? No.

I called American Express. Can I get a cash advance? Yes, but only $500. Not enough, but it's a start. Just as the rep was giving me my "emergency" pin number, my phone died.


It'd been charging for an hour, yet the battery still rolled over with its feet up in the air.

So there I was... in front of the bank with no phone and not enough money. I decided to get a check for the rent amount and pray that it would be okay.  When the teller asked for the landlord's name, I had no idea how to spell his last name. All I knew was that it was three letters.  And without a phone, I was screwed.  I had no choice but to guess and of course, I guessed wrong and had to go back to the bank to fix it.

This wonderful landlord must have the middle name of "Flexible". He was okay without the deposit check as long I as promised to FedEx it to him on Friday.  

Deal Done.

I got the house!

I could go on about the stress of returning the rental car, checking in, not having a working phone, etc. etc., but I think you get the picture.

Aside from actually getting the house I wanted, something else was afoot.  Every time a problem arose, I prayed and God solved the problem.  Every. Single. Time.  How awesome is that?

I tell ya, that Guy in the Sky is truly amazing. 

No comments: