Sunday, September 13, 2009

Taking stock of the freezer stock

Remember how I said a couple posts ago that I'm generally pretty adept at looking for silver linings after bad news pours down? Well, here's a silver lining when there is no paycheck forthcoming...

It's time to discover what lurks in the far reaches of my freezer!

Today I took stock. I pulled everything out, made note of it and reorganized it all so I can actually find what I now know resides in there!

Here's what I discovered and what will be the basis of our meals for the next couple weeks... (And I do *not* want to hear even one comment about the large amount of carbs!! LOL)
  • Ravioli
  • Blueberries
  • Girl Scout cookies
  • Fruit Chillers
  • Stouffer's Mac and Cheese
  • Pretzels
  • Corn dogs
  • Hot dog buns
  • Waffles
  • Sub buns
  • Break apart rolls
  • Cinnamon raisin English muffins
  • Garlic bread
  • Croissants
  • Meatballs
  • Flank steak
  • Bacon
  • Pie crust
  • Breakfast sausage
  • Pork roast
  • Whiting
  • Flounder
  • Shrimp (large and small)
  • Salmon
  • Strawberries
  • Catfish
  • Rosemary roll
  • Peaches
  • Raspberries
  • 3 bags of hash browns
  • Tater tots
  • 1 New York steak
  • Lil Smokies
  • Cauliflower
  • Friday's meal in a bag
  • Corn tortillas
  • Spaghetti sauce
  • Pork sausage
  • 4 lbs. frozen chicken breasts
So there are definitely some dinner possibilities in there! I made out a menu for the next week, with the provision that I could buy nothing dinner-related at the Walmart trip I was prepping for.

So here's what's on the menu this week:

Monday: Fajitas (with the chicken)
Tuesday: Friday's meal in a bag (with garlic bread)
Wednesday: Quiche (with the pie crust)
Thursday: Meatball sub sandwiches (with tater tots)
Friday: Marinated flank steak
Saturday: Pork roast (with cauliflower)

Now, Delicious Readers, I'm challenging you!!

Refuse to buy dinner-related groceries next time you go grocery shopping! Take stock of what your freezer holds and plan your menus by mixing and matching.

Then... I want to hear to how much moola your bank account is still padded with!!! (I saved about $50, I'm guessing. Sweet!)

Aren't we so fortunate to have freezers to preserve food? We don't have to dig cellars and line them with straw and ice. We don't have to worry about the methyl chloride used in the first fifty years of freezers. (Several fatal accidents occurred in the 1920s when that lethal gas leaked out of the freezers.)

Here I am, thinking about saving money as a silver lining. And all of a sudden, there's another shiny spot--appreciation of my freezer. We are blessed to have such a luxury, aren't we? And we are most certainly blessed to have a freezer full of food to fall back upon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Last night I made chili with provisions from the fridge and pantry. The only thing I lacked was a can of tomato sauce so I used V-8 juice. I used 1/2 lb ground beef (from the freezer), 1 pork chop and a left over piece of steak (originally from the freezer), both cut into a small dice (from the fridge). It worked.

Tonight it will be Italian sausage (from the freezer) along with a jar of spaghetti sauce and a pkg of spaghetti from the pantry. I think there are enough veggies in the fridge to make a good salad.

I'm working on it!