Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I'm here! I'm here!

No, I didn't get lost in cyber-space nor did I forget all about my Delicious peeps.

I just got busy. Way too busy.

Scott got a job offer! Yay!

Of course, it's in another city. A much more expensive city than you'd find in the good ol' Pacific Northwest.  And while the offered salary would be commensurate with the cost-of-living increase, we're still trying to decide if it's worth it to move.

Stability? Old job: no New job: yes
Regularly paid paychecks? Old: no New: yes
401k: Old: no New: yes
Dental and vision coverage: Old: no New: yes
State tax: Old: no New: yes (bummer on this one)
Pay for health insurance: Old: no New: yes (bummer on this one, too)

Sounds pretty cut and dry, right? Well, consider this...

Car registration? Here: $36/year There: $336/year
Rent? Here: $1545/mo There: $2400/mo (for an equivalent house, neighborhood, etc.) And if we wanted to buy? Here: $250K There: $600K.
Traffic: Here: almost non-existent There: Horrendous (He would be working from home but driving to clients every day. And it's a big place. With horrendous traffic. Oh, yeah. I already said that.)
Food: Higher there than here
Utilities: About the same
Car insurance: Probably more there
Music lessons: Here: $17/30 min. There: $30/$30 min.

And then there's this... we've lived in this same place before. We have friends there. We know the area. We know the churches. We know the schools.

See our dilemma? What would you all do? Having the above knowledge and keeping in mind the trauma of uprooting our family yet again, how would you make this decisions? Are we missing anything crucial?

I wrote a book on moving, for goodness' sakes. I should have all my bases covered. But we want to be 1000% sure.

And we need to make a decision, like, yesterday. I've found a house that is perfect and also an amazing deal. I'm afraid it will go to someone else if we don't get it immediately. *sigh*

What to do... What to do...

No comments: