Friday, September 17, 2010

My jaw is hanging open in astonishment!

Now would be a great time for all of you Delicious Readers to recite one of my favorite movie quotes to me...

"Close your mouth, Michael. You are not a codfish."

Who can tell me what movie that's from? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Get on with your post, Kate. Sheesh. Sometimes I annoy even myself.

Last Sunday, we worshiped at the church to which we belonged when we moved away from San Diego. We didn't love the church then, so we weren't overly anxious to go back.

But it's in the neighborhood and a new friend mentioned that she attended, so I thought we'd give it a shot.

Well, then.

Within minutes, Emma was enrolled in Sunday School (which she was *so* not happy about) and Hayley was bombarded with information about the coming weekend's Confirmation Camp. She smiled very nicely and nodded politely. I actually got a big kick out of her attempt to hide her martyrdom.

Now it's been seven and a half years since we last went to this church. We know... exactly... No. One. And I told Hayley when we left after service that she certainly didn't have to attend the camp if she didn't want to. I'd be shy around 100 kids I didn't know, so I couldn't imagine she'd ever want to even consider the idea.

(Yes, you read that correctly. There are over 100 kids in Confirmation at the camp.)

Jaw-dropping statement number one: "I'm thinking about it, Mom. I'll let you know."

Ummmmm... huh? My reserved, anxiety-ridden, tell-me-exactly-what's-going-to-happen-every-single-minute-of-every-single-day daughter was actually thinking about going?!?!

Wow. Just... Wow.

Monday I talked to one of the women in charge and received more information. I couldn't wait to give Hayley the low-down 'cause the camp sounds like SO MUCH FUN!

Jaw-dropping statement number two: "Okay. I'll go."

Wow. Just... Wow.

Turns out that one of the girls attending the camp shares a class with Hayley and over the course of the week,  met another Confirmation girl at school. Hayley, already excited, started packing on Tuesday and couldn't wait to get over to the church tonight.

And so I dropped her off. And watching her... it was just one of those heart-bursting moments I desperately wish I could have photographed...

My tall girl, leaning against a table, talking, laughing, meeting new girls... Comfortable, confident, stylish, gorgeous, perfect...

My heart melted into a big ol' puddle of butter right there on the Fellowship Room floor. My girl, my Hayley, at long last, discovered her confidence.

No comments: