Thursday, September 9, 2010

One single glass of wine

A couple weeks ago, I made Monster Chicken for dinner. (The recipe is on the Delicious Recipes link just under the Delicious as Pie banner. You should try it. It's divine!)

The recipe calls for 1/3 cup of white wine.

Now I don't drink wine. Or any alcohol for that matter. I never learned to care for it and frankly, never cared enough to try.

Having said that...  There is the extraordinarily odd day that I will have a glass of wine. Mostly because it's been a horrendous day and my children have given me a free ride to Insanity-ville.

The day I made Monster Chicken was one of those days. I thought it serendipitous since I just happened to be cooking with wine. So I washed the dust out of one the two wine glasses I unpacked (for my parents to use when they're visiting), filled it with ice and poured in the remainder of the tiny bottle of wine I'd opened for the recipe.

When Emma noticed my glass a few minutes later, her jaw dropped to the floor. "Why are you drinking wine, Mom? You don't drink wine!"

"Sometimes, Honey, children make moms crazy and we just need a little help in staying calm."

Fast forward to this past Wednesday. Music lesson day. I sit in an uncomfortable waiting area while Hayley and Emma take back-to-back lessons.

Two little girls, maybe three years old or so, played while their moms chatted. Their lessons had already ended, but the moms were letting the girls play together for a bit. In the tiny waiting room.

The girls pounded on a table with xylophone mallets for a good 10 minutes straight. Then they proceeded to yelp like dogs. Very high pitched dogs. One of the girls wanted the front door closed, but it was so warm in the room that I needed it open. She would close it. I would open it. She would close it. I would open it. And so on.

I am a very patient person, but I was starting to lose it. I took a sip of my Starbucks mocha and commented to Emma that the owner of the studio really ought to put in a coffee shop right next door.

She agreed. And then said...

"And she should put in a wine place on the other side."

"What? A wine place?" I was incredulous. What on earth was she talking about?

"Yeah, for times like this when kids drive moms crazy."

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

One single, flipping glass of wine and all of a sudden, we need a wine bar!

1 comment:

Kate Spears said...

out of the mouths of babes! hopped over from your comment at miss lana's place.....we blogging kates gotta stick together! love your cutie pie blog! am now following you! xoxox