Tuesday, October 26, 2010

No No NaNo

National Novel Writers Month (aka NaNoWriMo or NaNo) starts in just 5 days -- Nov. 1. The goal of the month is to write a 50,000 word novel in the 30 of November. Tricky, but it can be done.

In fact, I did it last year and finished with just over 48 hours to spare.


To set such a lofty goal for myself and actually achieve it was one of the highlights of 2009 and I've been looking forward to this year's challenge ever since.

But, alas. Last week I made the very difficult decision to forgo (sp?) the NaNo 2010 challenge.

*deep, deep sigh*

I just think it would be too much stress. We'll be out of town the first weekend in November. Then the girls are out of school for two days, one of which is Hayley's bday. Then there is Hayley's sleep-over birthday party and a week and a half after that, driving up north to my parents' house for Thanksgiving.

I could probably juggle all that and still get a new novel written, but Scott will also be traveling off and on for work throughout the month. Last year, I depended on him greatly to help with laundry, cooking, kids, etc. and awesome and amazing was he. But if he's not around... that's just a recipe for frustration for both me and the girls.

And that's not fair to anyone.

So I gladly, but sadly, sacrifice NaNo 2010. My next novel will calmly wait, especially since it's still the size of an undeveloped pea in my head.

2 comments:

Prairiemaid said...

Sounds like things are going to be busy around your place!!

I haven't decided....last year, I didn't finish. Things just go too hectic. But, that may not stop me from trying once more.;)

50,000 is a lot of words!

Hugs,
Cheryl

Kendra said...

I'm right there with ya. Oh well, we can cheer on the folks we know who are doing NaNo! :-)