Friday, October 15, 2010

On why I can never join a book club

I'm a big scaredy cat. Plain and simple. Even the slightest bit of suspense basically puts me over the edge. And given that I can't dominate the book club and insist on Kate-friendly books only, I must forgo book clubs altogether. *sad sigh*

Take the current book I'm reading, for example: Safe Harbor by Nicholas Sparks.

Remember the Julia Roberts movie from 1990-ish called Sleeping with the Enemy? It's the movie in book form. Seriously. It's impossible not to visualize Julia as the main character.

The book and movie both are completely predictable. At least the book is as far as I can tell. I'm 75% of the way through and I don't think I can finish it.

Evil Husband has discovered where the oft-beaten to a pulp Wife is hiding and is on his way. Said Wife, new Boyfriend and his kids go to the carnival. Soon, Boyfriend has to drive a friend to a town a couple hours away, so... he'll be gone for a while. Given that Boyfriend is an ex-CSI dude, I'm sure he'll figure out the not-so-subtle clues and rescue the girl just before Evil Husband kills her.

Completely standard, right? Not all that scary.

But I am freaking out! Seriously, friends, I am shaking right now! I don't think I can finish the book. I really don't. My heart is pounding and I've been in a weird funk all day because of this book. I couldn't sleep after reading it last night and the few chapters I read weren't even scary! Just knowing what the remaining chapters held spun me into a tizzy.

Fortunately for me, my go-to movie for relaxation -- Pride & Prejudice (the Keira Knightly version) -- already inhabited the Blu-Ray player. (I couldn't sleep a few nights ago either, but that was before I started Safe Harbor.)

Alas, I think I must sever all ties with the book. Yes, I even need to delete it from my Kindle. So if one of you Delicious Readers out there happens to read it, will you tell me if it ends happily? Predictability is one thing, but Nicholas Sparks is also known for heartbreaking endings.

Off to assuage my woosey (albeit shaken) emotional state...

1 comment:

Prairiemaid said...

I saw the movie! But I don't think I finished it. LOL

Sorry, I'm not much help when is comes to scary stuff.

Blessings,
Cheryl