Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Fish Bully and other tales

At 9pm, I was dead on my feet. Barely had enough energy to don my pj's and brush my pearly whites.

Yet here I am, two hours later. Wide. Awake.

My current book (Jane Austen Was My Best Friend) is not particularly entertaining, so I decided to open up Delicious as Pie and ramble a bit.

You might be wondering about my title. "Fish Bully?" you ask. "What on earth are you talking about?"

I am talking about the bully in our fish tank. He's a territorial little creature and seems to enjoy scaring the other fishies away. For the longest time, I thought that he and another fish just liked to play chase 'cause that's what they'd do all day.

Then we got more fish. And he's chased them right to the bottom of the tank and inside the blue turreted castle. "Hhhhmmmm," we said.

And so Fish Bully got grounded. He had to spend the afternoon in a glass bowl in the kitchen while we scrutinized the other fishies. Sure enough, once he was gone, they all came out of hiding.

Did you know fish can die from stress? So it's important to keep them happy. How to do that when there's a bully in the tank... I think Fish Bully might have to say adios.
I couldn't get a good photo of Skello,
so I found this one online. 

The new fish that Emma picked out (and named Skello) is transparent. Pretty funky, really. Especially when you really look at his insides. You can imagine the chorus of "Eeewwww! Gross!" when I pointed out that you can see his poop before it comes out.

Hayley's new fish is Chubbers. I don't know why.

And Scott picked out a tiny crab that eats the food that collects on the rocks at the bottom of the tank. We're calling him Pince William. Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! (I tried to get the girls to name of their fish Kate (to go with Pince William, of course), but they flatly refused. Silly girls.)

Photobucket

No comments: