Wednesday, July 15, 2009

No Guilt Allowed

It's an absolutely gorgeous day -- 85, sunny (yes, we do occasionally see the sun here in the NW!), a tiny breeze just barely tinkling the chimes.

And what are the girls and I doing?

Sitting inside.

It's pathetic, I know. I should have them, if not my working self, outside riding their bikes, playing at the park or playing in the sprinklers.

And why don't I? We're too tired.

The girls have both been so busy this summer, nary a chance to rest. And they've both been staying up way too late -- not a good combo with getting up early to go to VBS.

So I decided this morning that I'd let them stay inside this afternoon and watch tv. (Normally, tv time has to be earned, so this is a HUGE deal for them.)

And what's more... I decided not to feel guilty about it. The world won't end. Their spongy brains won't turn to mush in one afternoon. Their muscles won't atrophy in a few short hours. It's all good.

I got about 4.5 hours sleep last night and now that my parents have left, I need to catch up on all the work I haven't done and all the hours I'd like to get paid for. So to have the kids quiet while I test, transcribe, photoshop and design (and frequently pinch myself awake) is like the gift of sun in the NW. Rare, fleeting and much appreciated).

No comments: