Saturday, July 11, 2009

Woke up at 7 am today...

Why is it that when I actually can sleep in, I wake up early wide awake and ready to start the day? But when I actually need to get up early? Haha. It's like trying to convince an Emma to eat a piece of squash. I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E!

So when I woke up happy and rested this morning, I rolled off my amazingly comfy Sleep Number mattress, tied on my robe and came downstairs to cuddle with my computer.

LOL. Sounds so sad, doesn't it?

But true, nonetheless. I figured I might as well get some work done on my book proposal while the house was quiet. I was tempted to not even try -- every parent knows that as soon as you try to do something you really need to focus on, everyone in the house suddenly needs you. I figured they'd all wake up as soon as I started actually typing.

Strangely, they didn't! Em didn't get up till 9 (unheard of for her!), Scott didn't get up till 10:30 (the poor exhausted man needed some serious sleep) and Hayley and Dad didn't come down till 11!

And what's more, Emma played quietly and worked in her workbook while I continued to write. So ended up working for 4 hours this morning!!! And I got another couple hours in this afternoon!

How totally cool is that?!

I'm starting to feel like the proposal is coming together. Watching it take shape is not only encouraging, but motivating as well! Well, except for the competition part. In a non-fiction book proposal, you have to give the agent/editor a rundown on your competition and explain what sets your work apart from theirs.

I always get anxious when I think about the competition. I do think my book has an edge and I definitely think my writing style is better. I'm not bragging, by the way, it's just true. I was reading a section to Scott from some "similar" book the other day. It was just so bad, we laughed. Surely, if writing like that gets published, mine will, too, right?

Argh, the misery of self-doubt.

At any rate, I'm in too deep to stop now. Keep those positive and encouraging thoughts and prayers comin', ok?

No comments: