Friday, July 17, 2009

What's that old song?

"I fall to pieces...." That's all I know if it and it keeps rolling through my head because that's honestly the way I feel right now.

I'm so dang tired. I can't remember the last time I went to sleep at a decent hour. Last night it was 2am. And while I got almost 6 hours of sleep, I'm just not functioning on all cylinders anymore.

Work, VBS, parents here, taking my neighbor into Portland, putting together a VBS slide show, putting together my book proposal, getting all of us ready for our various vacations next week... it's just too much.

When my bro was here a few weeks ago, he introduced me to a Starbucks skinny mocha. That's what's saved my life this week. I wonder how you make those at home. I certainly am not going to pay $3 every single time I need help keeping my eyes open.

You know what I keep thinking about? Delegating. See, I'm so used to doing everything myself. Scott works crazy hours, so I manage house and family on my own a great deal of the time. I'm used to it and I don't mind all the responsibility (at least most of the time!) But I'm realizing that there is only so much time in the day and when I work 8 hours, juggle the kids, etc., there's just not enough time left for home mainantence. (Or Kate maintantence, for that matter. My roots are more than an inch long and my hair desperately needs a trim. With my icky hair and the huge purple bags under my eyes, I feel like a train wreck.)

Anyway, so I'm thinking about delegation and how backwards it all seems. I mean, I work for money to pay bills, but then because I'm working, I have to incur more bills since I need help doing all the things I no longer have to do. Or, as is actually happening, those things just aren't getting done.

My house is a sty. (I know several of you are now saying, "Yeah, right." I'm not exaggerating. If I had the energy and the time, I'd take photos. Or maybe I wouldn't. You just have to believe me.)

Just got a call from Scott. He picked the girls up from VBS today and was taking them to his office to swim. All their swim gear, though, is in my car so off I must go. I think I'll pick up my very favorite walnut chicken salad sandwich from Paradise Bakery on my way. Yum!

No comments: