Monday, August 17, 2009

Deliciously Reviewed: "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies"

Sorry I've neglected you all, Delicious Readers, over the past week. In truth, I did start writing a post several times on Wednesday, but I didn't like the post, so I deleted it.

So here I am, ready to entertain you again with the "Adventures of a Bibliophile, Domestic Goddess and Volunteer Extraordinaire."

And on to my review...

Yeah, I know. I'm shaking my head that I'm reading "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies", but it came so highly recommended that I had to! It's the same story as the original P & P, but with zombie stuff thrown in here and there. (I was going to say "thrown in for good measure", but I'm not so sure about the good measure part.)

Here's a quote:

"Elizabeth continued her walk alone, crossing field after field at a quick pace... During this impatient activity, a bootlace came undone. Not wanting to appear unkempt upon her arrival at Netherfield, she knelt down to tie it.

There was suddenly a terrible shriek, not unlike that which hogs make while being butchered. Elizabeth knew at once what it was, and reached for her ankle dagger most expeditiously... The closest seemed freshly dead... and when he was but an arm's length from her, she plunged the dagger into his chest and pulled it skyward. The blade continued upward, cutting through his neck and face until it burst through the very top of his skull. He fell to the ground and was still..."

It's just so wrong, isn't it? I can't imagine what Jane up in Heaven thinks about this. I mean, it's funny in a way. Random, but funny. It's just not holding my attention. I read a couple pages, then fall asleep. Yes, I'm tired, but I still generally fall asleep with a book open because I just can't put it down.

Not so with P & P & Z. I can put it down, turn out the light and then fall asleep. Oh, I'll finish it alright and maybe it will peak my interest at some point in the next 200 pages. And if it doesn't? Well, hey. At least I've read something out of my norm, right?

No comments: