Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Dinner: Delicious and Damned

On different days, of course.

Monday's pot roast was a surprising success. I don't even like pot roast, but I was inspired by Ree Drummond's (aka The Pioneer Woman) appearance on Good Morning, America last week. I looked up the recipe and decided to try it. What the heck. It was Scott safe, so even if I didn't like it, he most likely would.


Hayley declared, somewhere between her third and fourth helping, that she wanted this pot roast on her birthday. Emma (after scraping the rosemary sticks off her carrots) claimed they were the best she'd ever had in her entire life.

Yummy yum yum. Mmmm mmmm mmmm.

(For the recipe, go to http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=9929955 or www.thepioneerwoman.com.)

And tonight's dinner, pork tenderloin and pan fried potatoes, well... I'm not exactly sure what to say.

I found a Rachel Ray recipe for pork tenderloin and I wondered at the cooking method -- 500 degrees for 18 min. Found a couple other recipes, though, with the same time frame so I decided to try it.

Let's just say it didn't work. 20 minutes. Still raw. 40 min. Not much progress. The photo below? An hour plus, just before I pulled it out of the oven.


Rubbed with garlic, salt, sage and olive oil, it smelled like heaven. And no, it's not your imagination. And no, I did not lose focus. Half of each little roast really is naked. Scott's stomach doesn't like anything clothed in garlic. (Dumb thing.)

Meanwhile... I lay paper thin slices of potato in my cast iron skillet and watched them turn crispy, crunchy deliciously brown before sliding them onto a plate. Scott was so excited to taste them... he just couldn't wait... Verdict? Good, but aftertaste is a little weird. True enough. It was. I think it was the vegetable oil I used.


They found a new home in the rubbish bin. *sigh*

So dinner, instead of a beautiful, flavorful pork roast, potatoes pan-fried to perfection and a vegetable I hadn't yet chosen, was...

pizza.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello! I found you on Mom Blog Network. I didn't read the recipe for the Pork Loin but my guess is that if its cooked at a high temp for a short time you are supposed to let it rest for at least 10 min once you take it out of the oven. Essentially it continues cooking without drying out. Never pierce a pork or beef tenderloin. If you do that, all the moisture drains out. The key is to sear the outside and then allow the meat to rest. It's kind of tricky because you won't know if its done until you cut it open, lol. That's why I usually slow cook my pork. The smell is irresistible wafting through the house for 3-5 hours but the wait is worth it. I can't believe the hubby doesn't like garlic!? I put it on everything!

Susan Vaughn said...

Hi Kate! I love pot roast and something tells me that yours was extraordinaire.

Thanks for stopping by my place on the web too!

Susan
Over at "RaisinToast"

Kate said...

Hi GumDropSwap! Thanks for visiting. Yes, the recipe did call for sitting for 10 min. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference. Thanks for letting me know! Kate :)

Kate said...

Hi Susan! Thanks for stopping by. Definitely make the pot roast. So fast and sooo good! BTW, I think "Raisin Toast" is an awesome blog name!

Unknown said...

FYI - GumdropSwap began as an online company. You can enjoy the swapping at an even lower cost $4.99/mo no matter the number of children. The concession you make is that you get to specify gender, size, and qty but I pick the garments for you (with your style preferences if you have any which you list when you register). It's impossible for me to inventory, photograph and describe the 1000s of items that we swap. I want to keep the service affordable :-) Some people don't care about style as much as they are just looking for clean clothes that fit. This is great for everyday play clothes. Check out the website http://www.gumdropswap.com and let me know if you have any questions.