It's Make a Difference Monday! Every Monday, I'm going to encourage you to do something unexpected for someone else, for anyone else. You don't have to know the person. Or it could be the person you depend on most in the world. It doesn't matter. As long as you make the effort to make someone smile unexpectedly today.
I'm not talking a complicated or expensive random act of kindness here, but simply one that comes from your heart. Simply one that shares the joy of life with others.
Now I personally believe in God with my whole heart and I like to think that when I make a difference to someone, I'm extending God's love.
But even if your beliefs differ from mine, there's no reason why you can't spread a smile.
Not sure what to do or where to start? Here are some ideas just off the top of my head...
- Mow your neighbor's front lawn while they're at work.
- Leave a small potted plant on your co-workers' desks.
- Pick up lunch for a homeless person you drive by every day.
- Take an elderly friend out of the house for a couple hours.
- Take dinner to a busy friend.
- Compliment a stranger's hair or eyes or outfit.
- Have warm cookies and cold milk ready for a snack when your grade-schooler gets home from school.
- Surprise your teen by downloading a couple news songs to their mp3 player.
- Ask someone for advice (even if you don't really need it).
- Buy a box of Girl Scout cookies, then give it back to the girls to munch on while they're selling.
Wanna know what I'm thinking about doing? I've got the carpet cleaners coming any second to revive my disgustingly filthy carpets. I'm going to make them lunch -- roast beef sandwiches, chips, a Coke and some Girl Scout cookies. How cool will that be? Maybe I'll even take a photo. That might be a little weird, though, so I don't know.
Now go forth, Delicious Readers!