Tuesday, January 5, 2010

And the final total is...

61 books read in 2009!

Not my typical 68-69, but, well, I guess with all the writing and working I undertook throughout the year, you'll forgive my slightly lesser bibliophile status.

Worst book of the year? Pride & Prejudice and & Zombies

I tried. I really did. I wanted to like it. I wanted to find it hysterical and completely engrossing and an avenue to branch into new literary territory. (Ok, so P&P&Z isn't literary by any stretch, but you know what I mean!) Instead, it was insipid and mind numbing and an insult to Jane Austen and her readers everywhere.

Best book of the year? Well... I can't say exactly. I discovered a new author who I admire greatly (Katherine Berg). I thoroughly enjoyed several other books. But I didn't have a particular favorite that outshone the others.

The top two contenders, though, are The Diary of Maddie Spencer and Prayers for Sale. The Diary of Maddie Spencer is a beautiful story about a woman homesteader's struggles. (Yeah, I know... it's another story about homesteading... it's my passion, I admit it!)

Prayers for Sale is an endearing story about an unlikely friendship between an older woman and a young, recently married woman. They live in an isolated Colorado mining community and strike a relationship between wizened experience and fresh perspective.

Your life won't be lacking if you never pick up either of these two books, but they were wonderful reads. Definite re-reads in a few years.

I'd love to hear your favorite reads of the year. Or ever. Why limit it? Tell me what kept you engaged your imaginations.

2 comments:

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

I can't believe you managed to read 61 books in one year. I wish...oh, I so wish.
I must agree with the Pride & Prejudice. I couldn't even read half.

Unknown said...

I agree with your two favorites. We both read "The Diary of Maddie Spencer" a few years ago, and this year read "Prayers For Sale." Maybe not earth shaking, but certainly wonderful reads. My favorite by far in 2009 was "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. It gave me so much to think about and was an easy and light read, almost joyous. I liked it so much I bought two copies and gave them for Christmas gifts. Now the sequal, "Committed," is out, supposedly not quite as good but I can't wait to read it! It's great to share great reads with your daughter.