Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I'm back, slightly worse for wear and a couple pounds lighter...

The surgery itself and immediate recovery was fine. The after effects of the stent removal (ok, stent falling out) led to an infection, a crazy amount of Vicodin and its death-wish inducing side effects.

Then there was another medication that stole my sleep! Literally. It kept me up all night long. For five nights. I'd doze for two or three hours during the day, but by Saturday, I'd gone 96 hours on less than 12 hours of sleep. (Although 4am Saturday morning, while twiddling my thumbs in the bathtub, I did write an amazing blog post. By the time I got out, though, it had dissolved with the bubbles.)

I was so not in a good place by Saturday afternoon. I'd barely eaten for days, I was exhausted, still in pain and ready to admit myself to the hospital for a morphine drip.

After my post-op appointment yesterday, I'm on another round of antibiotics and am already feeling better. Thank the good Lord!

2 comments:

Valerie Geary said...

I'm glad you're feeling better!

Anonymous said...

pain meds have an array of nasty side effects.It sounds like they have really taken their toll on you.
I hope you feel better soon. At least the surgery is over, yay!