Thursday, August 12, 2010

They FINALLY got it right!

Check it out...


Sorry for the poor quality of the photo, but can you see what it says at the top of the book?

"Vocabulary words for unlocking the SAT, ACT, GED and SSAT."

Brilliant, I say! Simply BRILLIANT!

Studying for ungodly standardized tests is as bad as making cookies and not eating the dough. There's simply no joy in it. I remember clearly the hours of tedium, the hundreds of flashcards, the enormous efforts of rote memorization. No one ever thought to actually make the study process interesting.

Until now!  I must say it again... Brilliant, I say! Simply BRILLIANT!

So "defining Twilight" uses words and phrases from the "Twilight" series to engage students in actually caring about what they're learning! It gives the SAT-quality words along with page numbers and reference points to use in determining context clues. 

It makes the studying process interesting! I didn't actually buy the book seeing as how Hayley is still (only) three years away from taking the SATs, but I might just check it out from the library just to get a kick out of it.

Hhmmm... maybe I should get it for Hayley now anyway. It would really help her Scrabble game. ROFLOL!

Kudos to up-to-speed publisher Cliff Notes! And kudos to author Brian Leaf for capitalizing on the Twilight market. Why did I think of it first? (Oh, the agony of hearing a great idea that wasn't mine!)

Go Team Edward! Or Team Jacob! Or Team I Don't Really Care!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

as a teacher, but a disliker of anything Twilight...it sounds like a good thing... Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Brandi said...

I saw this book on Amazon not too long ago, and thought it was great that they are taking something as popular as the twilight series, and using it to help kids learn. Makes sense though. When kids are having fun (and grown ups too) they tend to learn faster and more thoroughly!